Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Bulbs

On Sunday my very sweet grandma stopped by and brought me these bulbs.


Yard work has become a bad word at our house. We are in a constant battle with our yard. This year it seems to be winning. So I have had no time to really think about what to add, only to dream about a weed killer that kills everything I don't want and leaves everything I do. The Dyer's Wode really took its toll on me. I have had no desire to weed any other beds. Last year we threw down mulch and really didn't worry about it.

Our other battle, the water. We have a sprinkler system, but it doesn't reach all the areas. So we have to manually turn on each area and screw it to the garden hose. Not that tragic I know, but has been a challenge to keep these areas alive. We lost two shrubs that were planted right in front of the house. That is where I am going to plant these lovely bulbs. It will be so nice to have one beautiful clean area amidst all the chaos.



First I picked the spot...or it really picked itself when the trees died and my grandma said "What were you planning to plant there?"



First dig a trench about 5 inches deep and 3 feet across. These bulbs need to be planted 6 inches apart and about 4-5 inches deep.


Place the bulbs in their new little home.

Now cover the bulbs with about 3 inches of dirt. This will help speed the growth process. After the bulb sprouts then add more dirt to aid with support.


Water well.



I mean really good, but be careful to press down the dirt first so that your bulbs don't float up. Thats it. Now the package says it may be 6 weeks until you see growth, but I'm thinking it will be sooner. Now I will plant the other half of the bulbs in about two weeks, to keep the color around a bit longer. But since I have no flowers to show you, I'll give you an update on my strawberries.



They are suprisingly doing very well! Next year there will be jam, even if its just one jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment